Saturday, November 14, 2009

Discombobulated

I recently had a conversation with a friend explaining that I feel like everything that comes out of my mouth is taken the wrong way, or just comes out the wrong way. I wonder if I have always been this way and I'm just noticing it, or if I'm just starting to put my foot in my mouth more often. Who knows.

For example: the other night I was at a Pampered Chef party, mind you the 4th Thursday evening spent at a 'party', either selling jewelery, dishes & home decor, and now every kitchen gadget you can imagine. After the "this is my business, I make lots of money having parties, and here are all my wonderful products" speech I got comfortable on the couch between a friend and her pregnant friend (who I knew from before, but not very well at all). As I was searching the magazine trying to rationalize why I needed a fancy cheese grater instead of my wal-mart one, the pregnant friends' ring caught my eye. It was huge! Of course I can not be curious without saying anything so I ask to see it. It's even bigger and prettier when you stop and focus on it. So what comes out of my mouth?
me: Is it real?
her: Uh-yes
me: I mean, you know how when you're pregnant and your fingers swell, sometimes you go to wal-mart and buy a big fake one?
her: looking at me like I'm dumb
me: That looks like one I'd buy during that time....
her: still looking at me
me: I mean, not like it looks like it's from wal-mart, but it's that big. It's eautiful...honestly...err

::akward::

But of course, I kept trying to redeem myself and it was just dumb. Why? Isn't there a better way to compliment a ring? Besides the fact that it was clear that even in her 36th week she was not swollen, not at all. She was tiny...she made me look overdue and I'm a good 2 months behind her.

This is one of the less offensive examples. Right behind finding out my brother and sister-in-law would be traveling home for her grandmother's funeral. I asked if they would be going back right after the funeral or staying for the weekend. When I found out they'd be hanging around I replied "oh good! PAR-TAY!". Exactly what someone wants to hear when planning a trip home for a funeral...and continue with..."I'm sorry, that was a dumb thing to say...I uh...I'm excited to see you guys and..." Why can't I just say "that'll be nice to have you guys around for awhile and I'm sorry to hear about your grandma."?

I like to blame it on the hormones, but it's been causing me a lot of backtracking, foot in mouth, red-faced moments lately and it gets somewhat exhausting. So if you're around me and I say something dumb, please accept my appology, or atempt at one. It's safe to assume it's not the first dumb thing I've said that day. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment