Friday, July 30, 2010

"Happy Day!"

As Derrick carried Ryse downstairs from her nap, she caught a glimpse of Dora balloons and decorations that were no where to be found before she laid down. Her eyes widened quickly and she loudly exclaimed "Happy Day!" over and over. She began giggling and jumping around when the doorbell rang.



"Happy day cake!!" once again, over and over. She loved, LOVED her cake. She proudly showed it off as the guests arrived.
After the party, Derrick and I were up talking and cleaning until midnight. It was so much fun, it was exhausting, and it was Ryse. We began talking about the last 2 years and what has made her Ryse.
Let's rewind:
Surprise arrival July 15, 2008. I was induced for preeclampsia...and less than 7 hours later we had a 5lb 12oz peanut. Through 12 weeks of screaming and very little sleep I spent much time in a comfy gliding chiar, but mostly bouncing on an exercise ball. These things soothed her. Many opinions told me what to do, what not to do, why this was happening and I became so annoyed I thought I'd develop a twitch- so I locked the doors, pulled the blinds, and shut the ringers off on the phones. I was determined to love her, sing to her, and sleep when she did. When she didn't- we watched chick flicks, sang hymns (to keep me sane), and cried in eachothers faces. Then her well-check came around again. Thankfully Dr.Gigax heard a heart murmur and sent us to Akron Children's Hospital. October 1st we headed up to get an echo and EKG and had plans to rush home to work in the children's class that evening at church. Test after test I began to feel as though things weren't looking like they should. I wish I could even try to describe to you the feelings of that day- finding out that not only was something wrong, but it needed fixed and we would not be going home until it was. Her tiny heart, how would I hand her over for heart surgery? Heart surgery always sounded like something awful, but for a tiny little baby- this shouldn't happen in my mind. We walked her to the PICU to admit her and as they asked a million questions I became overwhelmed. That's where we met some of the best people we knew- Ryse was in the best hands and so were Derrick and I. A man, I cannot remember his title, but his name was Brian, met me in the hall with kleenex and an arm around my shoulder as he promised they would take care of my baby girl...I would need to take care of myself and Derrick and they would take care of the rest. God continued to prove this man correct and as though that was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do



...we made it. With 2 more stays in Akron Childrens, a life-flight ride, a broken arm, and a sister later- she's an amazing little 2 year old. She's strong, she's confident, she's pure ornery. She's beautiful, she's hilarious, and she's healthy! She's a booty shaking, eye rolling, rock star who loves to sing. She's daddy's little girl who kisses all mommy's silly boo-boos. She's the best big sister who loves to wake up to "meee-ya". She's a little miracle.
As this is a little late, I'd like to wish our little rock star a Happy Birthday- I wouldn't trade her for anything.

2 comments:

  1. I remember that time in the hospital! So awful!! So so thankful that she is so healthy and full of life today!

    ReplyDelete