Saturday, July 31, 2010

A Friend Worth Quoting

"(The thing that I really don't get with the Cry It Out method is why Christians- Christians! are so drawn to it, even adamant about it...because if parents are a picture of God to their children, this is nothing like the God I know...I do not serve a God who only responds to me at certain times, under certain conditions...I do not serve a God who refuses to listen when I cry...rather the God I know invites me to cry to him, over and over He says this, to pour my heart out to Him...and that He is a waiting Father, a Father lavish with affection and understanding, one who is ever-present, ever holding His children)." http://www.jesstock.blogspot.com/

I recommend reading it yourself, especially if this leaves you uneasy. Neither her, nor myself, suggest this method is wrong...it's just when the Cry It Out method isn't working. When they cry, and cry, and cry...she describes how her motherly instincts were going wild and my skin crawls because I remember the feeling oh so well. I still get it, when I've rocked and rocked and nursed and nursed, then gently lay her down...by the time I turn the monitor on and she's crying everything in my wants to scream and then start rocking again. I can't stand hearing my girls cry...especially if it's not a tantrum, it's a cry for comfort.

I think back at losing dad, moving out of state for college alone, having a baby and all that comes with it...had God turned his ear away from me I'd have given up on Him. I'd no longer trust Him. I tried with Ryse to cry it out. I tried with Symira to cry it out. I feel that deep jealousy every time someone tells me "I let her/him cry it out one night, they've been sleeping through the night ever since"...and 15 months into it- I'm still up, still rocking. However, those 15 months are over and she happily grabs her blankie and exclaims 'nih-nih' 'see-ya' at bedtime. I love Jess's blog post on this...these late nights and early mornings and everything in between wont last forever, they are already coming to an end, and as I am LOVING more sleep I am trying to cling to each minute rocking and knowing my kids find comfort in me. I love thinking God could possibly smile at the 'constant whining', knowing that I need Him, and when I'm scared I find comfort in Him.

2 comments:

  1. hey- thanks for the linkage! and,, i'm really glad you're public finally!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And, could you imagine if you had let poor Ryse cry it out!? oh, I can't even think about it :/

    ReplyDelete