as·i·nine
[as-uh-nahyn]
Show IPA–adjective
1.
foolish, unintelligent, or silly; stupid: It is surprising thatsupposedly intelligent people can make such asininestatements.
2.
of or like an ass: asinine obstinacy; asinine features.
I've been faced lately with people who believe differently than me. Act differently than me. Openly disagree with me. It makes me uncomfortable and I think I know one (of many) reasons why.
We were raised believing that what we believe is right...silly, why would we believe it if we didn't think it is right. Therefore we should tell everyone what we believe and that it is right. But what do we do when people don't think it's right? What do you do when people don't even seriously consider your right? Well, I was never taught that. I grew up in a small area where everyone had the same idea of right, whether or not they did it, or really believed it, everyone pretended to be on the same page.
I moved. Other 'Christians' believed differently than me. How? Why? Isn't right, right? I had to learn then why I thought my right was right and theirs wasn't. But I had to listen to why they believed the way they did, that is only fair. A few times my right was wrong. They.had.reasons. And good ones. And proof. Proof that I wasn't comfortable with because it didn't fit into the pretending. It was uncomfortable.
I also learned that everyone else had a right, and to them they are right. It is selfish, it is asinine, to think that my right is more right than theirs.
I'm uncomfortable still with certain lifestyles. Some people are uncomfortable with some of mine. Religion makes some cringe. Atheism makes others. End result, we're all cringing.
If we were all a little more understanding, open-minded, and less asinine in believing that because we think we're right the rest of the world should agree- I think people would be more accepting of our ideas. And if they weren't- we would understand.
Don't be asinine. It makes your right look annoying. Even if our rights match- yours appears annoying. I can only imagine what it looks like to other people. Don't you want your way of life to be attractive to others? Isn't that the only way they'll give it a chance?
I'm sorry, I've been told I'm like my father in thinking this world lacks common sense. It just doesn't seem right to insist on being right. It doesn't seem smart. May I suggest another way. Try.to.relax. It's not your job to
Be a friend to
I agree. This is one thing I love about our church- they accept people wherever they are without expecting them to all think alike. One of the most faithful attenders is an atheist (for now) who is somehow attracted to a place where the people love him and allow him to be honest with his questions.
ReplyDelete