Wednesday night I attended the last night of an amazing missions conference at our church. Seriously, amazing. I had low expectations for it, because I wanted to not like it, but every night I sat, pen in hand hanging on every word.
We sang Revelation Song on Wednesday evening. Music got louder, voices got stronger, and hands went up. My hands, however, clenched both in my pockets, sweating. Why? Because arguments say to raise your hands is only emotional. That first annoyed me because of who said it, then annoyed me because it was a petty comment.
I moved to Chicago to go to school in 2003. Our first chapel the music started and hands went up every where. I felt weird. I didn't raise my hands. I got used to it. Why was that weird that people would use their emotions to worship the God who created emotions? Some people yell at the tv. Some don't. Both can be equally excited about the Brown's touchdown....or lack of. Some even jump out of the chair, some slap high five, some chest bump. All of this is normal- but whatever you do, don't get excited about God. Do not show excitement about the one who created the universe, yourself, your emotions. Bottle them up....please, for the sake of looking stupid, let your hands sweat in your pocket.
Seriously now, in my opinion, pockets were made for cold hands and junk. Bobby pins for when you're hair falls in your face. Chapstick for nasty lips. Coffee cash. For looking bored. Pockets are also made to make your pants look cool. Emotions were made to express. Happy, sad, mad, bored, overwhelmed, or excited.
It's a weird thing to defend, emotions. So I'll back down, surrendering, hands in the air [punny?], and say yes petty person, it is emotional to raise your hands. I like emotions.
i like this times a million.
ReplyDeleteI probably said or thought at one time that to raise your hands is just emotional...Ugh. Where does that idea come from that our emotions are a bad thing? Didn't King David dance through the streets after a victory (naked?) as well as publicly mourn the death of his child? Jesus got angry and he also wept, publicly. And he probably could cut a rug at a party!
ReplyDeleteI hope the next time you want to raise your hands, you feel free to do it!
Sally- I JUST read about David this morning, he does indeed, and to the point where it ticks off his wife :) 2 Sam 6...I was loving it while I read it. I was going to do a sequel to this I was so excited.
ReplyDelete