Lately I've been hearing a lot of whining- whether from myself, my girls, my friends and family, or random people (thanks facebook). It gets old. As the old adage says 'the grass is always greener on the other side'. We are experiencing this in our house with jobs, money, vehicles, even how to do a birthday party. Everything has two sides and as soon as you choose one, the other side looks 'greener'.
One thing I've felt guilty for is complaining....because someone else always has it worse, someone else could use a little patch of my 'green grass'. I try to post positive facebook status updates, or atleast be funny when they aren't...why? Because I know someone reading my update has it worse and is probably rolling their eyes at me. I think it's a great thing to be aware of the fact that someone always has it worse than me, it's a wonderful thing actually. Recently someone has helped me look at the other side of things- that being admit that what I'm going through is hard, and although it could be worse, this is my 'bad', this is my 'hard' and it's okay to admit I'm struggling.
Lately someone reminded me that since we got married we had 7 months to adjust to marriage, then we had 9 months to adjust to the fact that a baby was coming and I was very sick while adjusting to a new job, followed by adjusting to a screaming baby who everyone swore was collicy, followed by adjusting to a 'heart' baby, the surgery and follow up care and appointments- and just when I thought things were getting normal we bought a house and found out we were pregnant again with another 'heart baby'. Now to adjust to two babies. Although we've been very lucky in our ability to get pregnant, the seriousness of our children's heart conditions, and other medical expenses and stresses...this has been our 'hard'. I refuse to say it's harder than what anyone else is going through, but I will go on record saying it's hard and it's taken a toll on my mind and emotions and even some friendships. I've blocked people out who I felt like would think I was rediculous, and I've blocked people out because I've felt they don't understand and I didn't want them to think I'm crazy.
I'm learning to admit and accept the hard things in life, without (hopefully) complaining- and all the while not wishing things were different because I also realize that I have been blessed beyond measure.
*I am a lucky girl and I know it, so please don't tell me how great I have it and let me be frustrated every now and then because my hard is hard to me. Hopefully I'll be slow to label whining in place of other people's 'hard'.
**this does not excuse whining- i believe there's a difference.
***this is a scatterbrained entry.
No comments:
Post a Comment