Monday, October 8, 2012

Liberty

"When your life is in the middle of God's activity, He will start re-arranging a 
lot of your thinking. God's ways and thoughts are so different from 
yours and mine that they often will sound wrong or crazy."

I pop the lid off my pen eagerly to underline. Yes, I think...that's great! Random moments start flashing through my memory where I felt awkward, speechless, out of my normal order, and if not misunderstood...I must have been plain wrong (or nuts!). 
Certainly my only argument against the death penalty had to be more than it defying the plain and simple grace of God. My sense of humor couldn't have left me so quickly that those jokes have lost all humor. Bad kids just weren't annoying anymore, they were broken. Plans of finally fixing a house exactly the way I'd want it seemed selfish all of a sudden. Mowing the lawn was no longer a chore, it was a waste of time. It was time to daydream of moving to a land so dry you couldn't mow, you could only sit with a new language, longing to tell them about a Jesus they've never heard of. Time to day dream about orphanages. Hospitals. Schools full of children who longed to learn. To eat. To be loved. Maybe those were to drastic, but there had to be more.
The more I'm learning and the more I'm seeing the less I'm understanding in this world. The people. The traditions. The goals. Until this weekend that felt wrong. I felt uncomfortable. I felt completely out of place. Then I read this freeing quote.
You should be worried when you're comfortable here because you don't belong. You should take note when you fit, because we were created in an image that stood out.
None of this because I think I'm great, completely the opposite. Recently again, I've been broken. I've been alone. I've been completely at the mercy of Him. Finally I realize, there's joy in that. There's comfort in that. There's belonging right there.

If everything the Bible said is true, and if those people met Jesus and dropped 
everything, how skewed really is our best version of Jesus?

No comments:

Post a Comment