Things have been going on lately that force me to think seriously. To think about eternity. My eternity. My kids. My family members. Friends. Random people.
Tonight I saw a police chase. It ended with the car being chased flying off the road, either into trees if he/she was lucky. It moreso looked like the car was under water. We were passed by the car and the police, then another police. Then came up on the scene where the first police was off the road about 2o feet looking over the bank while the second sprinted from the side of the road over the bank to the first car.
Professor Flemming would be proud. She always said a good reporter was nosey. Well I wanted to turn around and drive by again. So we did. We couldn't see the car at all, chances were good it was in the water. I wish I wouldn't have turned around, I wouldn't have known there was water down there. I hate the thought of death...even if it is a criminal, and yes, a murderer. I don't know what this guy did tonight, whether he or she was under the influence of something and decided to run, or if they had commited some crime so big that even death seemed better than being caught. What I do know is that the cops stood at the top of the hill watching carefully and waiting. No one was running to this persons rescue. Not that I expected the cops to save the person, not knowing what would happen, but the thought of someone potentially dying and no one rushing to help them doesn't settle well.
So here I sit wondering. Did they die? Were they in water? What did they do that made them run? Obviously they didn't mean to run off the road...was it worth it? Eternity was either waiting there, or was very close for this person.
Does someone deserve hell for things, even if it's murder? I know that sounds crazy...but the only thing that sets me apart from anyone going to hell is that I've accepted eternal life. I did nothing better. Heck, there will be people in hell that have done more good for this world than me. No one deserves heaven...but then if some of us get it, shouldn't we want it for everyone?
A kid I went to high school with was killed in a motorcycle wreck yesterday. Where is he now? How do you not wonder about eternity when anyone dies?
I get utterly discouraged and a pit in my stomach because I realize there is only so much I can do to affect peoples eternity.
Point B (if you will)
Sometimes the harder 'christians' try, the more damage they do. I've seen God do crazy things in my life. I've felt comfort that could only be from Him...but I cringe when people say cliche things that sound so corny about church, christianity, etc. I cringe when 'christians' are judgemental against alcohol, language, places people go and once again...etc. Jesus ate with sinners. He loved them. He sat with them at meals. If we could all be a little more worried about being more like Him than we are worried about not being a certain way we'd be good. He did make himself of no reputation. I guess if you don't have one, you don't have to worry about ruining it.
I suppose I needed to get this off my chest. Praying for the Shupe family. Praying people I love will see past corny, leagalistic christians and find the ones that are striving to be like Christ, to love people no matter what they eat, say, or where they sit. If Christ can forgive anything, who are we to decide we're to good to hang out with or forgive certain people. Who are we to say 'good for him, he probably deserved it' when we see what I saw tonight.
No comments:
Post a Comment